- If you are using a 3G iPhone with ultrasn0w and rely on ultrasn0w to obtain cellular service, then you should only upgrade to 3.1 with a PwnageTool created .ipsw. DO NOT upgrade directly in iTunes.
- If you have an iPhone 2G (1st generation), PwnageTool 3.1 will unlock your iPhone automatically.
- But for iPhone 3G users upgrading to 3.1, please use ultrasn0w to unlock. Make sure you use PwnageTool to create a custom 3.1 .ipsw.
- Let me highlight once again. PwnageTool 3.1 does not support iPhone 3GS. It can only work on iPhone 2G, 3G and iPod touch 1G.
You can download the PwnageTool 3.1 from one of the sites:
Update: Some updates from iPhone Dev team:
1. Unlocked users on the 3G will probably notice that the name and/or logo of their carrier is missing, but they still have full bars and a signal. So far this seems to be purely a cosmetic issue and it doesn’t impact your signal or coverage. We hope to have this issue “fixed” when we release the 3GS compatible version of PwnageTool.
2. As of 3.1, the *.ipcc carrier bundles are signed, and you can no longer force tethering capability simply by crafting your own bundle. The good news is this obstacle can probably be overcome by virtue of the jailbreak. But so far that extra hack is not part of the PwnageTool custom IPSW creation.
» Read More...